Step – 02

Obtaining your (USAREUR) Driver’s License

A Guide for PCS Families in the Kaiserslautern Military Community

Securing Your USAREUR Driver’s License: Essential for Driving in Germany


For U.S. personnel stationed in Germany, obtaining a United States Army Europe (USAREUR) driver’s license is mandatory to legally drive within the country. This blog provides detailed information on acquiring your USAREUR license at Ramstein Air Base and Kleber Kaserne.  

Understanding the Requirement

  • A USAREUR license is a must-have for driving in Germany, with no exceptions. An international driver’s license is not acceptable when traveling for work via your Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). 
  • All military, civilian personnel, and their dependents must be at least 17 years old to apply.

Online Test Preparation

  • The first step is completing the driver’s test online via the Joint Knowledge Online (JKO) website. The new system allows taking the test at home without needing a Common Access Card.
  • Courses to complete: Numbers (prefix USA) #007 and #007B with a minimum score of 85%. Both courses are mandatory
  • Non-CAC Login: JKO Sponsored Login
  • CAC Login: JKO Login

    Scheduling Your Appointment

    • After successfully completing the online courses, wait at least 24 hours for your scores to update in the system.
    • Schedule an appointment at Ramstein AB or Kleber Kaserne for your temporary license.
    • Ramstein AB: Appointment Link (Select “Base Agency” > “USAREUR Licensing” > “Base Service” > “Initial USAREUR License”)
    • Kleber Kaserne: DSN 483-7332; +49-631-411-7332

    What to Bring to Your Appointment

    • Certificate of completion from JKO.
    • Military ID and valid stateside driver’s license.
    • Orders/Command Sponsorship or Letter of Logistics Support.
    • Debit/credit card or check/money order for the $30 fee (no cash).
    • For those 65 years and older, bring a recent eye test report (not older than 60 days).

    Additional Requirements for Motorcyclists

    • Military members: Front and back copy of state license with motorcycle endorsement and MSF card (Basic course valid for 1 year, Advanced course valid for 5 years).
    • Civilians: Only require a front and back copy of the state license with the motorcycle endorsement.

    Location-Specific Information

    Air Force USAREUR Driver’s Licensing (Ramstein AB)

    • Location: Bldg 2106, Rm 201
    • DSN 480-5534; +49-6371-47-5534
    • Hours: Monday-Friday by appointment only, 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and 13:00 p.m. – 15:00 p.m. (Closed on Federal Holidays and Family Days)

    Army USAREUR Driver’s Testing (Kleber Kaserne)

    • Location: Bldg 3213, Rm 207
    • DSN 483-7332; +49-631-411-7332
    • Note: Ramstein’s Drivers Testing Station is not authorized for use by U.S. Army personnel or Family Members.


    Obtaining your USAREUR driver’s license is a key step in your transition to life in Germany. Ensure you follow all the required steps and understand that this process upholds the privilege of driving in a new country.