Step – 07

TQSA: Your Guide to Financial Assistance During Temporary Relocation

A Guide for PCS Families in the Kaiserslautern Military Community

Relocating for official government business as a DoD civilian employee can be a significant change, with many expenses to consider and unknowns to face. 

Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA) is designed to help ease the stress of this transition period by providing financial assistance for eligible employees. To be eligible, employees must be a DoD civilian and ordered to temporarily relocate more than 50 miles from their official duty station. TQSA covers the costs of temporary housing, meals and incidentals. 

TQSA is available for up to 90 days for eligible civilian personnel. However, the allowance rate changes every 30 days, with the highest rate being offered for the first 30 days and gradually lowering over the next 60 days. 

To get reimbursed for meals, incidentals, and lodging expenses under the Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA) program, you need to follow certain procedures and provide required documentation. Here are the steps you need to follow to get reimbursed:

1. Review the TQSA guidelines: Before you start your temporary relocation, make sure to thoroughly review the TQSA guidelines to understand the eligibility requirements, covered expenses, and the maximum reimbursement amounts. The TQSA guidelines can be found on the Department of Defense’s website or by contacting the appropriate government agency.

2. Keep receipts: Make sure to keep receipts for all expenses related to your PCS (temporary housing, meals, and incidentals). You will need these receipts (potentially) to support your reimbursement claim.

3. Fill out the TQSA claim form: You will need to fill out a TQSA claim form to apply for reimbursement. The form should include all the required information and be completed in full. You can find the TQSA claim form at the following link:

4. Submit the completed TQSA claim form along with all supporting receipts and documents to your agency’s TQSA administrator.

5. Wait for reimbursement: After submitting your claim, you will need to wait for processing and approval of your claim. The processing time may vary depending on the complexity of your claim and the workload of the TQSA administrator.

6. You can follow up every 14 days until you receive your reimbursement.

By following these steps and providing accurate and complete information, you can increase your chances of getting a successful reimbursement under the TQSA program. However, it’s important to note that if you make a mistake with filing the paperwork, it can get kicked back and result in a delay in getting reimbursement. This can cause issues with paying the balances on the Government Travel Charge card or Personal Credit card, so it’s important to be careful and double-check all information before submitting the TQSA claim form.

TQSA Calculator
If you would like to calculate your TQSA, you can do so by filling out the information for your dependents under 12 and your dependents 12 and over. To find the current lodging rate, you can use the Per Diem Rate Lookup found at this link:

Simply enter the country of your destination and click submit to find the lodging, meal, and incidental rates for every military installation within that country. 

Note: Children over the age of 21 are not included in your TQSA as dependents unless otherwise approved by your agency.

Note: The per diem rates reflected must be multiplied by your total family size percentage.